After ten days of red carpet, the Venice Film Festival ended on Saturday evening. During the closing ceremony of September 12, 2020, President Cate Blanchett and her jury presented the various prizes for this 77th edition. Among the eighteen feature films in competition this year, it is the film Nomadland, by the American Chloé Zhao, which finally left with the precious Golden Lion for best film.
Radiant in her embroidered dress and cape, signed Giorgio Armani, Cate Blanchett walked the red carpet of the Mostra one last time, not far from her comrades Matt Dillon and Ludivine Sagnier, other members of this year’s jury. The prize list of this masked edition and under close surveillance, due to the health crisis, puts the spotlight on a varied international cinema: the Grand Jury Prize was awarded to the film Nuevo Orden by Mexican Michel Franco and the Silver Lion for best director. was presented to the Japanese Kiyoshi Kurosawa for The Sacrificed Lovers. For his part, the Italian Pierfrancesco Favino left with the Best Actor Award for his performance in Padrenostro, by Claudio Noce.
Winner of the Best Actress Award for her role in Pieces of a Woman, the Briton Vanessa Kirby shared her joy on her Instagram account: “Totally overwhelmed with acting won the Best Actress award at the Biennale last night. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to Bron Studios for trusting me with my first lead role, and to all the amazing women who bravely shared their stories with me. I couldn’t have done it without you. This is for you, “said the 32-year-old actress.
The winners of the 77th edition of the Venice Film Festival:
– Golden Lion for Best Film: Nomadlan by Chloé Zhao (United States)
– Grand Jury Prize: Nuevo Orden by Michel Franco (Mexico)
– Silver Lion for Best Director: Japanese Kiyoshi Kurosawa for Sacrificed Lovers
– Best Screenplay Award: Indian Chaitanya Tamhane, screenwriter and director of The Disciple
– Special Jury Prize: Dear comrades of Andreï Kontchalovsky (Russia)
– Best Actress Award: Briton Vanessa Kirby for her role in Pieces of a Woman by Kornel Mundruczo
– Best Actor Award: Italian Pierfrancesco Favino for his role in Padrenostro by Claudio Noce (Italy)
– Marcello Mastroianni Prize for best young performer: Iranian Rouhollah Zamani, a street child in Tehran, protagonist for his first role in Khorshid by Majid Majidi